To be honest, I didn’t think I had it in me. I’ve done the blogging thing before but it was never engaging enough to keep me at it, let alone to keep readers coming back. To all those who comment here, follow my blog or who have found me through strange Google search terms, thank you!
In the spirit of 100, this will be a blog post of my 100 favourite things. Don’t worry, it’s broken down into sections but this may take a while, so grab some tea or coffee and get cozy.
My 20 favourite vintage blogs
This was a hard list to make. Originally I wanted to do 10, but I felt like I was leaving out too many great blogs. I follow 134 vintage blogs (at last count), both “famous” and relatively unknown and love them all to bits!
100. Retro Chick
99. Diary of a Vintage Girl
98. His Girl Friday
97. The Mariposa Chronicles
96. Casey’s Elegant Musings
95. Vixen Vintage
94. Living in the Past
93. Alternatively Lovely
92. Esme and the Laneway
91. By Gum, By Golly
90. Land Girl 1980
89. Mrs. Amber Apple
88. Spiffing Sporadics of a Vintage Girl
87. Sweetheart of the Rodeo
86. The Freelancer’s Fashion Blog
85. The Rockabilly Socialite
84. Tuppence Ha'penny
83. Va-Voom Vintage
82.Of Steel and Lace
81.Twila Jean - The Mysterious Life of the Metropolitan Housewife
My 10 most popular posts (by pageviews)
80. Show 'n' Tell: The Middy // Posted Sept 9, 2011 // 3 comments // 674 Pageviews
79. New York: Day 4 - Stocks, Sailing and Statues // Posted Aug 24, 2011 // 1 comment // 501 Pageviews
78. What to Wear: Dinner with Friends // Posted Jun 3, 2011 // 0 comments // 458 Pageviews
h 77. Style Icon(s): Criminal Minds // Posted Nov 18, 2011 // 1 comment // 353 Pageviews
76. What to Wear: Help me get dressed for a wedding // Posted Jun 23, 2011 // 12 comments // 280 Pageviews
75. How-to: Transition summer clothes to winter // Posted Oct 20, 2011 // 0 Comments // 213 Pageviews
74. Wrapup: Proper football and greyhounds // Posted May 23, 2011 // 1 comment // 205 Pageviews
73. New York: Day 3 - Around the world in 50 city blocks // Posted Aug 23, 2011 // 2 comments // 156 Pageviews
72. Finishing School: Fit (and retro swimsuits!) // Jun 21, 2011 // 0 comments // 150 Pageviews
71. Wrap-up: a dance and a giveaway! // Nov 11, 2011 // 5 comments // 147 Pageviews
My 10 favourite beauty products
70. Motions Foaming Wrap
I haven't done a lot of experimenting with setting lotions, but I can tell a big difference between using Motions and just water. My hair is fine, thick and straight but with Motions my curls last longer (even though I still have to set my hair every night), are bouncier and soft. I was shocked and amazed to find it in my local Superstore in the ethnic section. I may venture to Sally Beauty and find Lottabody when this runs out though, just to do a comparison.
69. Garnier Fructis Hold and Flex Hairspray
As you will see, I use two different types of hairspray. This is my taming fly-aways hairspray. It keeps my hair soft, brushable and crunch-free but still holds my set in place.
68. TIGI Rockaholic Hairspray
This is called flexible hairspray, but it falls into the sticky, crunchy category. I wouldn't use it for flyaways, but I do love using it for rolls and pompadours. When I take my bobby pins out of a roll out at the end of the day it is still perfectly in place because of the hairspray. It also smells really good, kind of sickly sweet (which I like).
67. Schwarzkopf got2B Defiant Pomade
Ha, according to the got2b website, this is a men's pomade. Which makes sense, since G bought it and then I stole it. No matter, I love it. This is the hair product I found that works the best for me. Waxes separate my curls too much and I hate the texture of gels. This pomade is shiny and smooth without being goopy. When it's in the container, it's bouncy (it even goes 'boing' when you tap it!) and I also love the smell, which is like oranges.
66. Nivea - Happy Time Cream Shower Bamboo Milk and Orange Blossoms
This is my go-to body wash. It's creamy, suds up really nicely and doesn't dry my skin out (and I have really dry skin). It leaves my body soft with a orange scent without being too overpowering. I also like it because the scents line up with my orange hair pomade and my tropical body spray - there's nothing more harsh than competing scents.
65. Mary Kay tinted moisturizer
I have fairly decent skin, so I find what works best for me is light layering of a few different products Since this is a moisturizer, sunscreen and foundation it works triple-duty, something else I love
64. Mary Kay mineral powder foundation
I use this as my finishing touch after using the tinted moisturizer, then concealer and under-eye concealer. It smooths out my complexion, layers great in places I need extra coverage and doesn't dry my face out or get cakey.
63. Goody Sponge Rollers
I love these rollers and I think these are the easiest to find - I got mine at Wal-mart for $10 but I've seen them in lots of other stores too. I've never have a problem sleeping on them, they clip in good and try rather quickly, but I have to half-dry my hair first. I use the green (second-largest size) on my top two layers and then the yellow on the bottom if need be.
62. Pink and White vinyl shower cap
I got this shower cap in my Christmas stocking but I wish I knew where it was from because I love it! Unlike most shower caps I've seen, this one has a brim and is made of vinyl instead of plastic - two things that allow for better repelling of water.
61. Covergirl Lipstick in Hot
This is my go-to red lipstick, even though I've only ever experimented with one other brand (Joe Fresh). I use it with a Rimmel Nude Lip Liner, and boy, does it last forever! Some days it will last through drinking water all day, eating two meals and washing my face, so I really need to make sure it's all off before I snuggle up in my white sheets.
My 10 favourite outfits
60. My turquoise sweater with my cream skirt
59. White polka dot blouse with peddle pushers
58. Plaid skirt and cream blouse
57. Little Valley Jamboree shirt and high-waisted swing trousers (no photo)
56. Dianne Wrap Dress
55. Pumpkin pencil skirt and blue-white striped blouse (no photo)
54. Pale pink dress
53. grey tee and leopard print skirt
52. Heartbreaker stripe dress
51. 50s Peter Pan dress
My 10 favourite memories
50. Summers at the Lake
49. Working at Intercamp
48. My summer at Universite Ste-Anne
47. the Oasis and Ryan Adams concert
46. Canadian University Press conferences
45. Shaving my head at age 14 for cancer
44. Moving into the Fairmont
43. My brother's wedding
42. My first date with G
41. Our vacation in New York
My 10 life goals
40. Be a good homemaker
39. Keep on knitting and learn how to sew
38. Stop biting my nails
37. Make more friends and be a better friend to the ones I am lucky to have
36. Read more and learn more
35. Travel around the world
34. Have a family
33. Keep doing what I love doing
32. Love myself and love others
31. Be happy!
My 10 favourite books
30. The Greatest Show on Earth - Richard Dawkins
29. Elements of Style - Strunk and White
28. The Fortunes of Prue - Bessie Marchant (my great-great Aunt)
27. The Guests of War Trilogy, which contains The Sky is Falling, Looking at the Moon and The Lights Go On Again in one volume - Kit Pearson
26. Pride and Prejudice - Jane Austen
25. The Outsiders - S.E. Hinton
24. Diary of Anne Frank
23. Vintage Hairstyling - Lauren Rennells
22. How to Sew A Button -Erin Breid
21. Harry Potter series (that counts as one, right?) - JK Rowling
My 10 homemaker tips
20. Use Borax to keep your tubs looking like new!
19. Clean the house 20 minutes a day
18. Clean and organize as you go
17. Use vinegar and water to disinfect
16. Make a meal plan
15. Track your monthly spending using Google Docs spreadsheets
14. Use rubber gloves and aprons to save your hands and clothes
13. light candles after cleaning to get rid of any chemical smells
12. line your garbage bin and where you put the garbage can (like under the sink) with newspaper to make it easier to clean
11. do a cycle of vinegar every one in the while when washing towels to get rid of the stink
My 10 favourite things about me
This probably seems like a very narcacissic thing to have, but it's taken me a long time to realize that self-love is healthy and not selfish! If I can't love, respect and be non-judgemental of myself, then how can I be the same to anyone else? You are your own lifelong companion, so you have to learn to love yourself (even thought I still can't stand myself at times).
10. I have great support people. If it wasn't for my family, friends and G I think I woul be a very lost soul. I have a growing list of people who are always there for me, even if it's just a tweet to say hello now or then or an ear to let me voice my frustrations. You are all amazing!
9. I like to drive. Maybe not in rush hour traffic in the city, but I love just going for a drive and taking in all the beautiful scenery and listening to my music while getting lost in my own thoughts. I find it refreshing and it helps me clear my mind.
8. I am organized and love to keep things neat and tidy. I've learned to live with some mess because G is a more messy-organized while I am a tidy-organized, but I like it best when everything is in its place. This doesn't mean I wash dishes everytime I dirty a cup, but it does mean I stack all the dirty dishes in one spot instead of letting them clutter up my whole kitchen.
7. I am good at getting stuff done. Sometimes I will put stuff off, but if I have a deadline I am motivated and can do almost anything I set my mind to, wether it's a work assignment, cleaning the house or even shopping.
6. I love learning new things. That's why I chose the job I'm in, because I am always learning new things and in turn, teaching others. Sometimes I can get really frustrated when I don't understand something, but once I do get it, I'm actually giddy. I love my thirst for knowledge.
5. I like to relax. I've never been one for going out to clubs or bungee jumping or even amusement parks. While I'm not a homebody per se, I do tend to err on the side of relaxing (although I'm sure some would say boring). I prefer a pub or someone's living where I can actually have a conversation with my friends over a loud club and prefer to spend my evenings knitting while reading or watching TV.
4. I think I have pretty good style. I have never felt more beautiful and more me than this past year when I've started dressing vintage. I know I'm not as authentic as some, but I feel like I've finally have come into my own style and I couldn't be more happier than taking this leap. It has changed my life. That seems silly, but it really has. I'm more confident and I love waking up in the morning just to figure out what to wear.
3. I am damn good at my job. Somedays - mostly the days with angry phonecalls or letters - I don't feel like this, but I am a good journalist. I think I am good at breaking down information and giving it back to people so it's easier for them to understand, or simply more engaging. If I am bored by a story, my readers will be bored, so I always try to find something interesting or new about a story.
2. I love how I look naked - something I don't think many people can say with confidence. Sure, I have stretch marks and a lopsided boob and a bit of a belly, but I think I look fantastic.
1. I am beautiful. I have vibrant eyes (blue/green/gray, who knows?), a cute nose and great hair, 90% of the time. I have flaws - mostly ugly hands because of my bad nail care, scars and stubby fingers - but I've learned to love those too.
Phew!! That was a lot. Congrats if you made it this far and thanks for sticking with me through this long list and for these last 100 posts. It truly means the world to me that there are people out there who read my ramblings.